Saturday, February 26, 2011

Kid Craft - Activia Monsters

The few weeks ago, my daughter had to come up with something that started with the letter "M". I went through all the things around the house I could think of (that would have been okay to take): monkey, money, marshmallow, etc. She shot everyone of my ideas down. So then I started just naming anything that started with "M" figuring we could figure it out... and we did. She stopped me on MONSTER!

Here's what we did. All you need is an Activia yogurt container (I peeled off the top part of the label so that it wouldn't show - the label was too hard to get off completely), construction paper, tape, glue (we used glitter glue because it seems to hold things better when they use a lot of glue), scissors, pipe cleaner, nail, markers, googly eyes, and anything else you can come up with to make your monster. We used sequins, foam stickers, colored pasta, random stickers (I would have passed on these, but she insisted), yarn and tissue paper.

What I did:
I cleaned the containers and cut the construction paper to fit around it (I just taped it in place). I chose to cover it in white so that she could decorate it on her own. Had I been making my own, I probably would have opted for a color... then I would have glued furry yarn all over. But I guess that's just me.

I also used a nail to poke two arm holes and I strung the pipe cleaner through it. Then I gave her the "blank canvas"
What she did:

She went to town! She chose some flower foam stickers which we cut in half. We sandwiched the pipe cleaner between them to make hands (see picture above). She glued on googly eyes and colored a nose. Then she covered it in random stickers. I helped her cut some yarn for the hair (I just cut about 5 pieces and tied them together in the center). She glued the yarn on top for hair. She also used some dried pasta for horns.

We made about three or four of them and sent them to school with her for show and tell. I understand they were a hit.

I also used the Activia cups to make penguins for the letter "P" - just cover with black paper instead of white. I cut wings from black and a face and tummy from white. The kids glued it all on, added googly eyes and an orange beak. I glued black and white furry yarn on top... but apparently the kids weren't interested in putting "hair" on the penguin.

I continue to save these containers as I think the possibilities are endless... and my kids love the yogurt. I think next, we'll be building a village!

No comments:

Post a Comment


  © Blogger template Foam by 2009

Back to TOP